Type of glider: Ventus 2c/18m,

Takeoff location:Air Sailing (US / 11)


Please wait, loading in progress ...

Flight details

Points for the flight 410.41
Points for the flight 388.03
scoring distance 457.9
Speed 96.7 km/h
Duration 04:44:14
Points for the flight 22.38
scoring distance 88.0 km
Speed 25.9 km/h
Duration 03:23:35
Scoring class 18m
Scoring start 19:35:06
Scoring end 00:19:32
Index: 118.0
Club Air Sailing Nevada
Date of claim 15.04.2018 07:15:00
state IGC-File: Flight:

Flight path

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...


  • MeetingPoints are shown for Users with Login only.
    Please log in.

TopMeteo - Weather Charts

Please wait, loading in progress ...


Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...


Exceptional spring day! Better than many summer days. 4-5 knotters with cloud bases from 11k-14k. 15 knots or so of SW winds aloft. Visible wave above the convective layer which I only brushed up against, but didn't really exploit. Got a pretty good climb right off of tow to 10k where I hit a narrow patch of weak wave. After that headed SE, but didn't hit much of anything until I was fairly low by Pond Peak. The rest heading south just got better and better. Ran into and thermalled with a couple of gliders from Minden over the Pine Nuts. Due to the relatively low bases I never went real high with the McCready setting and keep it from 2 to 3 knots. I turned Sweetwater and started heading back with a minor tailwind. I got a great climb just before crossing Dayton Valley and Rabbit Dry Lake. The air in the valley was totally unthermic up or down and there was a big gap in the cu but I was lucky enough to ride some weak wave half the valley for a little less altitude loss. On the other side of the valley, the cus gradually got lower and the lift weaker and less reliable the further north you went.
After passing Air Sailing I was hoping to round Susanville and make it back shortly before 18:00. My thinking was that all I needed was one good climb by Susanville and with some late afternoon dolphining and a lower McCready setting I could glide home just as the lift was shutting down. What actually happened was as I got towards Herlong, the air by Honey Lake was just dying with sink, a big blue hole over the lake and some occasional wispy, poorly defined cus by the mountains that weren't producing much of anything. I wussed out and decided to just turn Milford as opposed to keep on charging into crappier air late in the day and risking not making it back at all. I did get somewhat low and got down to about 7500' after turning around, but as I got further south past Herlong some decent, but not great climbs for the glide home appeared. The glide home should have been super fast and comfortable as I had plenty of altitude cushion leaving the final climb. It turned out to be just fast as I sped up not to lose excess altitude but to penetrate god awful sink that just would not let up the last 10 miles or so and an easy final glide turned out to be somewhat uncomfortable. My guess was I was in a sink side of a wave coming off the Dogskins that was now not being overpowered by the thermals this late in the day. As I landed, certain directions still had very good looking cu, but NW just wasn't one of em. I really should stop heading that direction unless it's real strong, it kicks my ass half the time. Still an awesome flight, you can't beat a 400km day in cu marked thermals in the middle of April.


- no Comment -


Peter H. Braasch
IMI Gliding
Deutscher Wetterdienst
M+D Flugzeugbau
LANGE Aviation GmbH
Air Avionics
DG Flugzeugbau
TQ Avionics
Jonker Sailplanes
WINTER Instruments
Alexander Schleicher
Cobra Trailer
Rent a Glider
SCHEMPP-HIRTH Flugzeugbau GmbH
Segelflugschule Wasserkuppe
Baudisch Design