Type of glider: Ventus 2c/18m,

Takeoff location:Air Sailing (US / 11)

Map

Please wait, loading in progress ...

Flight details

Points for the flight 450.52
Distance
Points for the flight 409.13
scoring distance 482.8
Speed 96.1 km/h
Duration 05:01:32
Triangle
Points for the flight 41.39
scoring distance 162.8 km
Speed 32.6 km/h
Duration 04:59:37
Scoring class 18m
Scoring start 18:43:39
Scoring end 23:46:26
Index: 118.0
Club Air Sailing Nevada
Date of claim 08.07.2018 04:40:53
state IGC-File: Flight:

Flight path

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...

MeetingPoints

  • MeetingPoints are shown for Users with Login only.
    Please log in.

TopMeteo - Weather Charts

Please wait, loading in progress ...

Statistics

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...

Comment

Very disappointing and frustrating day. Although I had some concerns about the SW winds being a problem (and they were and then some), I wanted to launch early, land late and do a monster out and back flight to Lone Pine which didn't come close to reality. First hour and a half was blue and not high. The rest of the day was some combination of some worthwhile clouds, some lying clouds and some blowup. The entire day, the thermals were very hard to work and huge areas of bad sink that were just unshakable.
I launched a bit past 11:30, released and found 2 or 3 thermals around 5500' that barely produced anything on the Red Rocks. Eventually I found a 3 knotter that was good enough to climb and get high enough to start heading towards the Virginias. They worked, but not real well and I went over the I-80 corridor pretty low. It wasn't until just east of Rawe Peak (where I arrived pretty low) that I finally got consistently above 10k. At that point I was already an hour and a half into my flight and I barely made any progress and had a terrible average speed, so I abandoned any hopes of Lone Pine and since it looked better SE, I was hoping to make Tonopah (which didn't happen either). Although Yerrington was working alright, over Mt. Grant and all over Hawthorne it was blowing up and I got both rained and ice pelleted on in that vicinity, so crossed Tonopah off the list pretty quick too. I just ended up going to Lee Vining. Coming back from Lee Vining there was lots of lying clouds and despite a helpful tailwind I was making pitiful glide ratios due to vicious sink. I took my last thermal by Yerrington where it was blue up ahead with high clouds blocking the sun. It was a 33:1 glide with a tailwind which should have been easy, but considering all the sink I was seeing the whole day, I initially flew really slow to conserve altitude. I didn't start pushing up the speed till about 25 miles out when I was really sure the airport was made. I've flown worse days for sure and I suppose I did alright for what the conditions had in store, but I can't remember a day where the conditions were that disappointing compared to what I expected.

Pilot

- no Comment -

OLC-Team

IMI Gliding
Fliegerstrom
FLARM
Clouddancers
Bürklin
DG Flugzeugbau
Peter H. Braasch
LANGE Aviation GmbH
Jonker Sailplanes
TopMeteo
Milvus
HPH
ILEC
Deutscher Wetterdienst
LXNAV
navITer
binder
Siebert
aerokurier
WINTER Instruments
Alexander Schleicher
FLIGHT TEAM
Baudisch Design
Cobra Trailer
TQ Avionics
Bitterwasser
Tost
M+D Flugzeugbau
Segelflugschule Wasserkuppe
Air Avionics
Rent a Glider
SCHEMPP-HIRTH Flugzeugbau GmbH