Type of glider: Ventus 2c/18m,

Takeoff location:Air Sailing (US / 11)


Please wait, loading in progress ...

Flight details

Points for the flight 501.37
Points for the flight 472.49
scoring distance 557.5
Speed 113.6 km/h
Duration 04:54:32
Points for the flight 28.88
scoring distance 113.6 km
Speed 23.9 km/h
Duration 04:45:08
Scoring class 18m
Scoring start 19:42:01
Scoring end 00:36:53
Index: 118.0
Club Air Sailing Nevada
Date of claim 26.08.2019 04:13:31
state IGC-File: Flight:

Flight path

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...


  • MeetingPoints are shown for Users with Login only.
    Please log in.

TopMeteo - Weather Charts

Please wait, loading in progress ...


Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...


Surprisingly good day with a large portion of the flight spent at MacCready 5-6. Cus formed much earlier and further N that forecast although cloud base height were a bit on the low side, especially over the high terrain by Mono Lake and Mammoth Lakes. Launched a bit past 12:30 and the thermals were already pretty strong and reliable. Crossing highway 50 I ended up a bit low by Rawe Peak but got back up pretty easily and in pretty strong lift. Once I reached the S end of the Pinenuts the energy line split into a line E of Mt. Patterson and a longer looking line just a bit into the Sierras W of Topaz Lake. I decide to take the westerly line even though bases really weren't that much higher than the peaks. That great line continued all the way to a few miles shy of Mammoth Lakes where it stopped and the remaining clouds were a good 20 miles further S and well W and deep into the Sierras when I was already barely scraping the 12 and 13k peaks in that region. I decided to just round Mammoth Lakes airport and turn around. Only problem was that it was 6 miles into the blue and I was only at 13k over some pretty high ground already but I went anyway. I was down to not much above 11k by the time I rounded the turnpoint and reconnected with the clouds going N but the clouds both weakened quite a bit and bases seemed to get lower. I limped N slowly still pretty low keeping either Mammoth Lakes airport or Lee Vining well within glide range using pretty weak lift for a while, but eventually found a 2.5 knotter that got me up to 13k which was far from ideal altitude, but it wasn't real low either. It didn't start getting better again until I got S of Mt Patterson. From there it was good until about the PInenuts which were really bluing up. I ended up deviating E to some remaining clouds that were about 10 miles W of Yerrington where I found a surprisingly strong 8 knot boomer. That gave me a 36:1 back home which should be good enough, but I took about 1000' of "peace of mind" lift by Rabbit Dry Lake for a very comfortable final glide. Landed with a strong W wind and tons of smoke blowing in from the fire by Petersen Mtn.


- noComment -

Autocomment: Automatically determined proposal of OLC (24.08.2019 19:42:21 UTC till 25.08.2019 00:40:25 UTC) was changed manually.


WINTER Instruments
Peter H. Braasch
Segelflugschule Wasserkuppe
SCHEMPP-HIRTH Flugzeugbau GmbH
Rent a Glider
TQ Avionics
Alexander Schleicher
DG Flugzeugbau
Deutscher Wetterdienst
IMI Gliding
Cobra Trailer
M+D Flugzeugbau
Jonker Sailplanes
LANGE Aviation GmbH
Air Avionics