Type of glider: Ventus 2c/18m,

Takeoff location: Air Sailing (US / 11)


Please wait, loading in progress ...

Flight details

Points for the flight 225.02
Points for the flight 197.69
scoring distance 233.3
Speed 56.3 km/h
Duration 04:08:38
Points for the flight 27.33
scoring distance 107.5 km
Speed 26.4 km/h
Duration 04:04:40
Scoring class 18m
Scoring start 18:23:41
Scoring end 23:05:02
Index: 118.0
Club Air Sailing Nevada
Date of claim 13.12.2019 04:05:09
state IGC-File: Flight:

Flight path

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...


  • Currently no meeting found.

TopMeteo - Weather Charts

Please wait, loading in progress ...


Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...


Wave day that turned out to be a bit disappointing. I spent the first several hours trying to find the wave in the usual spots and upwind of visible rotors with little success. I did find a patch of wave upwind of Tule Peak but I either lost it or it quit around 13k and I lost all the altitude I gained trying to find wave further upwind. I did manage to find wave eventually over the Red Rocks later around 13:30. Winds up high were hellacious at 80+ knots WNW but the lift for the most part wasn't strong, presumably because of the wind angle relative to the terrain. That made it a bit of a problem as to actually climb or sustain in 2-3 knots of lift I had to fly relatively slow but flying relatively slow means I can't penetrate at all, and if I flew slow enough I'd fly backwards. The wave eventually strengthened up a bit and I did manage to work that patch up to 17k. I followed it by Amadee air force base where the lenticulars started to converge and form a dead end so I turned around. What was interesting is that once I had already gotten to 17k and gained the altitude I wanted I flew at 100 KIAS/130 KTAS which amounted to a groundspeed of 50 knots going NW but a groundspeed of damn near 200 knots going SE. When I got back to the Palomino Valley there were plenty of clouds collapsing into fallstreaks and what looked like heavy precip to the S by Carson City. It was already close to 15:00 and it was pretty clear there really was nowhere good to go or the time to do it so I just headed back in. Most of the good looking lenticulars for the day were further E (aka downwind) past Pyramid Lake over some really unladable areas, so I unfortunately never ventured there. Thanks to Gene for towing and Thea for rigging, derigging and wing running.


- noComment -

Autocomment: Automatically determined proposal of OLC (12.12.2019 18:22:00 UTC till 12.12.2019 23:05:02 UTC) was changed manually.


WINTER Instruments
Peter H. Braasch
SCHEMPP-HIRTH Flugzeugbau GmbH
Alexander Schleicher
Jonker Sailplanes
Air Avionics
Deutscher Wetterdienst
Rent a Glider
Cobra Trailer
Segelflugschule Wasserkuppe
LANGE Aviation GmbH
IMI Gliding
DG Flugzeugbau
M+D Flugzeugbau