Type of glider: Ventus 2cT/18m,

Takeoff location: Boulder CO (US / 9)

Map

Please wait, loading in progress ...

Flight details

Points for the flight 604.97
Distance
Points for the flight 523.05
scoring distance 617.2
Speed 120.6 km/h
Duration 05:07:01
Triangle
Points for the flight 81.92
scoring distance 322.2 km
Speed 62.5 km/h
Duration 05:09:16
Scoring class 18m
Scoring start 17:17:41
Scoring end 22:28:08
Index: 118.0
Club Soaring Society of Boulder
Date of claim 01.08.2020 00:26:47
state IGC-File: Flight:

Flight path

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...

MeetingPoints

  • Currently no meeting found.

TopMeteo - Weather Charts

Please wait, loading in progress ...

Statistics

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...

Comment

Had - once again - declared a 750 km task (Start/Finish at Ward; TP1 Medicine Bow Peak; TP2 a landout field south of Hartsel; TP3 at CO/WY border). Not easy to get up - worked only in small increments, but fortunately didn't take too long. Then nice run north - at the beginning conditions were still a bit soft and bases a bit low - but it worked reliably. Marked improvement after the WY border (not sure if it was the location or just that the day was getting stronger). Medicine Bow Peak was in the blue - a very pretty mountain (must hike it sometime). Then backtracked the same way until Longs Peak (conditions were stronger, now also a slight tailwind - between 5-13 knots), connected with the convergence (which was working despite the high level winds being from the north and not from the west - just not as strong as it often works in westerlies). But good progress southbound with little circling. The convergence continued into South Park so I followed along. At this point the first virga and showers were popping up over the Mosquito Range and I wasn;t sure whether I would make TP2. I decided to go for it because there were very clear routes to Buena Vista, Salida, and Canyon City. Turned TP2 and was now faces with increasing OD and showers. Flew around some virga to Jefferson. There super strong lift going north but pretty dark towards Boulder as well as further to the north. It was self-evident that TP3 was unattainable. Even considered various landing alternatives including Granby and Kremmling. North of Jefferson I saw a good opening with minimal virga and a clear view to the Flatirons. Made it through the virga fine (beautiful view of rain falling on Evans to my right). Then another virga line to contend with on my way back to Boulder. This one was less comfortable. Hit a lot of sink in the rain but made it safely back to the field. More respect for stormy conditions. Should probably have given up on the task before TP2.

Pilot

- noComment -

OLC-Team

Bürklin
Siebert
Peter H. Braasch
Deutscher Wetterdienst
LXNAV
Rent a Glider
WINTER Instruments
DG Flugzeugbau
IMI Gliding
Jonker Sailplanes
M+D Flugzeugbau
Air Avionics
Tost
navITer
HPH
SCHEMPP-HIRTH Flugzeugbau GmbH
Segelflugschule Wasserkuppe
Alexander Schleicher
Cobra Trailer
Clouddancers
LANGE Aviation GmbH
TopMeteo
binder
Bitterwasser
FLARM
FLIGHT TEAM
ILEC