Type of glider: Ventus 2c/18m,

Takeoff location: Moriarty (US / 9)

Map

Please wait, loading in progress ...

Flight details

Points for the flight 312.57
Distance
Points for the flight 283.85
scoring distance 334.9
Speed 95.3 km/h
Duration 03:30:46
Triangle
Points for the flight 28.72
scoring distance 113.0 km
Speed 32.5 km/h
Duration 03:28:48
Scoring class 18m
Scoring start 19:30:22
Scoring end 23:05:13
Index: 118.0
Club Moriarty Soaring
Date of claim 21.09.2020 05:38:44
state IGC-File: Flight:

Flight path

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...

MeetingPoints

  • MeetingPoints are shown for Users with Login only.
    Please log in.

TopMeteo - Weather Charts

Please wait, loading in progress ...

Statistics

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...

Comment

Day that was pretty damn good early but ended pretty crappily. I launched shortly before 13:30 and pretty quickly and easily connected with the Manzano shear line where it was really cooking and I was up over 14k in no time. I ran that line S down to Abo (about 5 miles past the end of the clouds) before turning back N. I kept running that back N until it ended to the N by Zorro Ranch. I had enough altitude and I could see nice looking cu over the Sangre De Cristos so decided to cross the blue and hope for the best. That's when things started to go wrong. The clouds I connected with over the S Sangres were starting to flat line a bit and weren't producing as well as I'd hoped. It looked better further N and to the E towards Las Vegas. I could have probably made the better clouds and they probably worked better but if that didn't work I would be pretty low over tiger country deep into the mountains. I just didn't have the altitude (or maybe the balls) to keep going comfortably further while having a conservative glide back to anywhere (including clearing any mountains and peaks on the way) if it didn't work. I was finding lots of sink over the mountains and the climbs were short lived, unreliable and I couldn't get real high so I wussed out and turned around and just headed back home. The sky ahead back home now looked pretty blue with just wisps of old dead clouds, hardly inviting. I got one last climb to just shy of 13k a bit W of Lamy that I was hoping would be enough to get home with a relatively slow conservative glide. I hit monster sink and lost 1000' of that in no time with little forward progress. I decided to deviate further W towards Ortiz Mine and the South Mountain area hoping to find a decent climb to get home with comfortably over the hills. What I found was weak, unreliable 1-2 knotters that would go maybe to 11k, but working several of those and slowly progressing S got me close enough to home for a comfortable enough final glide considering how much sink I was seeing the last half hour. Of course on the way back after limping slowly back home I found lift everywhere where I didn't need it and ended up going pretty fast the last 10 miles or so to bring her down. The price of being sensible and keeping well within glide range of a safe landout is wondering later that evening how much more distance and speed you could have gotten if you'd committed to charging ahead (and whether the sky ahead would have indeed gotten better).

Pilot

- noComment -

Autocomment: Automatically determined proposal of OLC (20.09.2020 19:31:52 UTC till 20.09.2020 23:08:55 UTC) was changed manually.

OLC-Team

Bürklin
Siebert
binder
ILEC
Rent a Glider
HPH
SCHEMPP-HIRTH Flugzeugbau GmbH
Peter H. Braasch
DG Flugzeugbau
M+D Flugzeugbau
TopMeteo
Fliegerstrom
Bitterwasser
IMI Gliding
Tost
Deutscher Wetterdienst
Air Avionics
TQ Avionics
Segelflugschule Wasserkuppe
LANGE Aviation GmbH
Clouddancers
Jonker Sailplanes
FLIGHT TEAM
Alexander Schleicher
WINTER Instruments
LXNAV
Cobra Trailer