Type of glider: Ventus 2c/18m,

Takeoff location: El Tiro (US / 9)


Please wait, loading in progress ...

Flight details

Points for the flight 460.32
Points for the flight 360.86
scoring distance 425.8
Speed 94.7 km/h
Duration 04:29:44
Points for the flight 99.46
scoring distance 391.2 km
Speed 87.1 km/h
Duration 04:29:28
Scoring class 18m
Scoring start 19:38:46
Scoring end 00:09:11
Index: 118.0
Club Tucson Soaring Club
Date of claim 05.04.2021 05:36:18
state IGC-File: Flight:

Flight path

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...


  • Currently no meeting found.

TopMeteo - Weather Charts

Please wait, loading in progress ...


Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...


Another strong blue day that I spun into a sizable triangle. 3-5 knotters that over the mountain peaks went as high as 14k-15k. Thermals again seemed to be multicored, with some that were tiny concentrated strong upwind gusts that were too narrow to be workable and fooled me on occasion. Northerly winds that high up above the boundary layer were 15+ knots (I'll explain later), but under 10 knots most elsewhere. Started out going to Kitt Peak to go S enough to clear the Tucson class C. Getting there was alright, but not great, neither the Coyote Mountains or Kitt Peak was working great. I then turned E and it got better the further E I went. It really turned on shortly before 15:00 over Apache Peak with 5 knotters to 14k. I was thinking of turning Tombstone but cut it short at Four Pillars due to how late in the day it already was and headed NW. Even over the flats S of and around Benson the air was working well. I hit an awesome climb up to the day's best of 15.2k just shy of Mt Lemmon at around 15:50. Shortly after passing Mt Lemmon and going back over considerably lower and flatter terrain it was very clear I was well above the boundary layer of the flats with smooth air and large areas of very weak lift or very weak sink. My original plan was for this to already be final glide and use the altitude to round Coolidge and home at a MacCready 2.5 setting. What I discovered in the smooth air above there was strong 15-20 knot N headwinds which ate up a lot more altitude than I wanted getting to Coolidge. I was hoping to turn Coolidge at 8k, but ended up down to 6.5k which was extremely marginal for back home. Also the convection didn't really turn on again until I got below 8.5k and was fairly weak. I then just needed 1 or 2 climbs to gain another thousand feet and that would be good enough. Around this time high cirrus further W started lightly shadowing the ground and it was almost 17:00, so I didn't want to wait too long for the lift to die, I had to get moving. I hit a couple of mediocre climbs to under 7k which turned out to be good enough. The lift over the late afternoon sunlight W faces of Newman Peak worked well enough even muffled by the cirrus to dolphin and managed to get a comfortable final glide. I again turned over the Black Hills just to ensure the triangle was closed and landed just shy of 17:15. By 18:00 the cirrus had thickened up considerably which was very pleasant for derigging, but made me grateful for my timing because I could have gotten stuck by Coolidge if the cirrus moved in even 15 minutes earlier. Another great weekend in Arizona.


- noComment -

Autocomment: Scoring start: Automatically determined proposal of OLC (19:38:56 UTC) was changed manually.
Autocomment: Scoring end: Automatically determined proposal of OLC (00:12:46 UTC) was changed manually.


LANGE Aviation GmbH
Peter H. Braasch
Segelflugschule Wasserkuppe
Rent a Glider
Cobra Trailer
WINTER Instruments
Air Avionics
SCHEMPP-HIRTH Flugzeugbau GmbH
DG Flugzeugbau
IMI Gliding
Jonker Sailplanes
Alexander Schleicher
M+D Flugzeugbau
Deutscher Wetterdienst