Type of glider: Ventus 2c/18m,

Takeoff location: El Tiro (US / 9)

Map

Please wait, loading in progress ...

Flight details

Points for the flight 622.9
Distance
Points for the flight 483.38
scoring distance 570.4
Speed 101.7 km/h
Duration 05:36:27
Triangle
Points for the flight 139.52
scoring distance 548.8 km
Speed 96.2 km/h
Duration 05:42:07
Scoring class 18m
Scoring start 18:37:37
Scoring end 00:19:52
Index: 118.0
Club Tucson Soaring Club
Date of claim 18.04.2021 05:52:22
state IGC-File: Flight:

Flight path

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...

MeetingPoints

  • Currently no meeting found.

TopMeteo - Weather Charts

Please wait, loading in progress ...

Statistics

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...

Comment

Bad ass day. By far the best since moving out to Tucson and I'm pretty sure more distance and points than my flights when I was a visitor for a weekend last August. Varying conditions throughout the day. I launched early a bit past 11:30 and it was fairly weak with blue 2 knotters below 6k for the first half hour or so. Once crossing I-10 it got considerably better and I got a good climb to 11k. I made first contact with the clouds about 10 miles NW of Kearney. Shortly after I hit a boomer averaging 9.5 knots by the IGC log up to 14.6k. My original plan was to first round Payson but even by 13:00 there was already a solid wall of OD to the N, so I decided instead to round Grapevine and turn S. The next leg was down to Wilcox/Cochise Country airport. That leg was absolutely awesome. I followed the clouds towards the Mt Graham area as opposed to taking the more direct route over the Galiuro Mountains which were mostly blue. That worked well as I barely circled, with some great dolphining to a negative glide ratio, got up to 17.5k and hit some patches of 3 knot wave. The clouds ended about 20 miles shy of Cochise County airport. There was also very significant (20-30 knot) westerly winds above 16k which explained the wave but that also meant the next leg to the W to Kitt Peak would be fighting a stiff headwind. The next leg indeed was tougher, lowering the working band down to 10k-12k and getting blue. Once I got lower the winds weren't as bad at 10-15 knots, but still significant. I hit a bit more patchy wave in spots, especially downwind of Rincon Peak. I got down to about 10k by Helvetia mine. Between the headwind and that I was about to cross a sinky valley, I got a lot more conservative, lowered the McCready knob and took most climbs, even though most didn't amount to much over 2 knots, which really slowed down my average for the day. It didn't start picking up until after passing Ruby Star. I hit a nice climb by Coyote Peak that gave me final glide and then some. I rounded Kitt Peak at 11k around 17:00 and ran home at 120 knots to kill the excess altitude. Even though it was already 17:00, there was still tons of lift. In retrospect I should have extended further, perhaps to Sells which would have put me at over 600km. Still, a damn fine day. I have to slap myself to remind me it's still only mid April and not peak of summer.

Pilot

- noComment -

Autocomment: Scoring start: Automatically determined proposal of OLC (18:40:11 UTC) was changed manually.
Autocomment: Scoring end: Automatically determined proposal of OLC (00:23:26 UTC) was changed manually.

OLC-Team

LANGE Aviation GmbH
LXNAV
Rent a Glider
Bürklin
Peter H. Braasch
navITer
Bitterwasser
Deutscher Wetterdienst
binder
Alexander Schleicher
Segelflugschule Wasserkuppe
Cobra Trailer
IMI Gliding
Clouddancers
Jonker Sailplanes
DG Flugzeugbau
M+D Flugzeugbau
Air Avionics
FLARM
TopMeteo
ILEC
SCHEMPP-HIRTH Flugzeugbau GmbH
HPH
FLIGHT TEAM
Tost
WINTER Instruments
Siebert